In general, the data submitted as part of the Broadband Data Collection system will be made publicly available, with a few exceptions. First, service providers can request confidential treatment of Subscription Data by checking a box in the system. Second, filers can request confidential treatment of some or all of their Supporting Data by (1) submitting a request in the FCC’s Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS), and (2) checking the appropriate boxes in the BDC system and uploading the request there. Availability data will be made publicly available on the FCC’s BDC Broadband Maps.
In the BDC system, after clicking the Certification box on the Submission Overview page and entering the contact information, you can request that the following data be kept confidential from public access:
- To request that your Subscription Data be kept confidential, click the check mark stating, “Request confidential treatment of subscription data for this submission.”
- To request that your Supporting Data be kept confidential, click the check mark stating, “Request confidential treatment of supporting data for this submission.”
If you are requesting confidentiality for your Supporting Data, check the applicable boxes as shown in the screenshot below.
For Supporting Data, you will need to attach a copy of your request for confidential treatment of these data, which you must file simultaneously in the Commission’s Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS) under WC Docket No. 19-195 pursuant to 47 CFR § 0.459. This request must be in PDF format when uploaded in the BDC system.
To upload the file:
- Click Browse… within the Data Confidentiality Request File Upload section.
- Select the file from your PC.
- Click Upload. Your file will first undergo a virus scan and will then receive a green status of Complete once successfully uploaded.
The FCC will not officially release the data until it decides on the request for confidentiality. If approved, the data will remain confidential.
Additional information on the FCC’s decision on the confidential treatment of supporting data in the BDC can be found in the Second Report and Order at https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-improves-broadband-data-and-maps-bridge-digital-divide-0.